HVAC Control head...88 Scirocco 16v

I remember a while back someone speaking of problems with their control head
on the HVAC controls inside the car.  Did you ever get it figured out?  My
controls are not responding as they should.  (vents are not opening and
closing)  But before I dig deeper into this thing.....In the Bentley..page
12-13 there is a Pic that shows how the vacuum line should be connected.  Is
this correct?  I have found inaccuracies in the Bentley's over the
years...wondering if this is another.  Cause my vacuum lines aren't even
close to the way these are laid out.  Someone speak up.  I need heat.  :^)
Thanks,
chris