Manual Fan switch?

List,
   Im going to put in a manual fan switch in my 88 16V scirocco, and im just
wondering and making sure there is nothing i need to know or do before i do
this, i dont want to blow anything up.This would be the perfect thing for my
car, because im in constant stop and go traffic, and i could use the fan way
sooner than when its coming on, i thought about a lower temp fan switch but
it seems like this would be cheaper and better. Also im wondering where is
the easiest place is to get through the firewall, i have a couple ideas but
im always open to more, so if anyone who knows about this subject please
reply. thank you

Aaron Carter
88 Scirocco 16V