Re: Confused

Christopher Grossi wrote:

>         I usually take my car, 85 8v, to oil change places to get the oil changed,
> but today I decided to venture it myself. I have done it several times on
> my Jetta so I am proficient in it. I am confused though. I got the oil
> changed, but with 3 and 3/4 quarts of oil in the car afterwards the
> dipstick is reading above the little detent in the stick, telling me I have
> too much oil in it. I am sure the car takes a little over 4 quarts just
> like my 92 8v Jetta.

That is a decent amount depending on how much oil you drained out. Also
the filter is still empty at this point and it holds a good part of a quart.

Earlier cars didn't carry as much oil as later A2s did though.

>  Am I somehow incorrect or is the dipstick just going
> down into the oil pan too deep? There is nothing around the pipe that goes
> to the oil pan or on the dipstick itself like on my Jetta. On the Jetta
> there is that orange thing that is on the stick. It's like 2 inches long or
> so. Is there supposed to be a similar thing on the Scirocco or am I just
> losing my marbles someplace. The later is quite possible at this point. I
> am only somewhat paranoid because the Scirocco with 172,000 on it runs
> better than the Jetta with only 136,000 on it. Quite a bit better actually
> and would like to keep it that way.
>
> --

Yes, there should be a plastic piece on top of the dipstick tube.
Replacements are cheap from the dealer so go get one. They all come in
this easier to see in the dark, fashion unconscious Neon Day-Glo Orange.

Marbles are OK to loose, don't loose your ball bearings though, keep em
clean & greased up.

While it's OK to run with a little too little oil, you don't want to
over fill the pan with too much oil as this can blow things out best
left alone. Like seals, and valves, and all kinds of stuff.

hth,
TBerk