Re: Avoiding Electro-Disolution of the Engine's Innards

>I think it's called a coolant bypass pipe, (It's job is to serve warm
>coolant to the head when the block is cold & to allow for coolant
>circulation when the thermo is closed, thus letting the waterpump move
>coolant at all times), but my PC here at work is in a box and the Mac
>has no VirtPC to run the ETKA CD from at the moment.

It is also to supply warm coolant to the heater core. Need heat!

>It's true, what with our multi-metaled engines that electrolysis is a
>problem, over the life of the car as we know it. (Going on 20+ years and
>counting) The coolant pipe seems to take the hardest hit (best that IT
>is what goes I guess).
>
>Makes me wonder about this product I saw that hangs down from your
>radiator cap and dangles a small metal blocks in the coolant. IT
>dissolves in the the coolant, giving up itself instead of your engine
>components- Anybody tried this thing before?

Havent personally tried but I have heard it works well. It is actually a
piece of zinc on the end of that string and it is supposed to collect all
the nasty metal eating electrolytes that eat your engine.

You might want to look in some of the vanagon list archives. I dont know for
sure but with all of their corrosion problems I am sure there has to be
quite a few discussion of this device.

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA