Re: Thermal barrier

Coating the intake may make a SLIGHT hp difference, but the effect would
probably be more pronounced with the earlier non-crossflow motors. The
velocity of the air in the intake is high enough that there is not a lot of
time for heat transfer-- I wouldn't expect miracles out of the process.

Coating the exhaust keeps the exhaust gas heat in longer, which will speed it
along somewhat- the side benefit of lower underhood temps is noticeable and
desireable. Still, the effect is not great on a dollar/hp basis...

Thermal management coating the braking system will help keep the fluid from
boiling (under extreme use) and is highly recommended-- but not cheap...

I don't know if Eastwood will ever offer a "do-it-yourself" ceramic barrier
coating kit, like their powder coat kits-- but there is a company selling the
materials direct to the public, Techline Coatings.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/TechnicalInformation.htm

I wrote the owner, Leonard Warren, and asked him a bunch of questions about
his products. He gave he an address for a local firm that does these
coatings, as well as gave me a little information on his products and
background in aerospace material development.

Three other links to thermal barrier/dispersant companies:

http://www.swaintech.com/index.shtml

http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/index.html

http://www.jet-hot.com/

HTH,