Re: fuel problem

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:13:56 -0500 (EST) "doug c."
<scirocco16v@europe.com> writes:
> well last wednesday i was up until 5am finishing the installation of
> my new head gasket and timing belt in my 88 16v...yesterday when i
> went to start it up there is still a couple problems...
>
> 1) there is a bit of smoke coming out from the joint between the
> downpipe and exhaust manifold...i'm hoping this is just because i
> didn't tighten the bolts down enough and am not getting a good seal
> there...hopefully that's all it it
>
> 2) the engine turns over, but runs like it is starved for fuel and
> will sometimes die after a few seconds...also, when i hit the gas
> pedal there is no response...could this be a timing problem, or
> should at look at the fuel injection?
>
> i haven't had a chance to do any trouble shooting yet because i
> finished everthing 10 minutes before i had to go to work...i figured
> i'd share my problems here first and see what you guys had for
> suggestions...
>
> TIA
>
> -doug

Hey Doug,

Refresh my memory... Didn't you have a bad cat?

Maybe the muffler got clogged from cat debris...
If the cat is broken up, the muffler usually catches all the stuff that
blows downstream.

That would explain the leak at the flange, and the starvation symptom.

There is a gauge that you hook up where the O2 sensor goes, and it will
tell you if the exhaust is clogged.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"