fuel problem

well last wednesday i was up until 5am finishing the installation of my new head gasket and timing belt in my 88 16v...yesterday when i went to start it up there is still a couple problems...

1) there is a bit of smoke coming out from the joint between the downpipe and exhaust manifold...i'm hoping this is just because i didn't tighten the bolts down enough and am not getting a good seal there...hopefully that's all it it

2) the engine turns over, but runs like it is starved for fuel and will sometimes die after a few seconds...also, when i hit the gas pedal there is no response...could this be a timing problem, or should at look at the fuel injection?

i haven't had a chance to do any trouble shooting yet because i finished everthing 10 minutes before i had to go to work...i figured i'd share my problems here first and see what you guys had for suggestions...

TIA

-doug