Clutch cable acting all weird...

Hey y'all,

I have an auto-adjusting clutch cable in my 16v '87, the problem is that it
seems like the 'sweet-spot' keeps going from the top of the pedal to the
floor. It works, but it's difficult to engage the damn thing correctly
without bucking the car like an amateur.

History:
When I got the car, it had a BIG piece of rubber where the spacer goes, when
I swapped trannies with my dad I left the BIG rubber-psudeo-spacer off, but
I HATED the clutch pedal play, it was literally on the floor to disengage,
so I put the BIG one back in. It then fell out down the interstate somewhere
so I got the correct one from my dad and popped it in there last weekend.
Now it seems like whenever I drive the car for more than 15 minutes the
sweet spot moves around like the cable is self-adjusting itself. Is it heat
related? Is it cable related? Is it an ID10T error?....

.....anybody delt with this before? Any pointers would be appreciated
greatly.

Thanx~
~Dan
'87 16v 'Rocco