Re: need advice dealing w/insurance co.

I just went through the same thing with my 16V.

Long story short, as I don't really have any time right now, I wound up
getting it fixed ($4200) plus got a whole new paint job out of it.

You have to do several things:

1.  Prove the value of your car by classified ads, appraisals, your mods,
expenditures, and anything else you can think of.
2.  Prove that you want only to get the car fixed, you're not looking to
make out on the deal.  The best way to do this is to GET RID OF THAT RENTAL
and tell them to apply the money to the claim instead.  That, as it turns
out, was the deciding factor in my claim.

It's all about DOCUMENTATION, DOCUMENTATION, DOCUMENTATION.  I filled the
entire *trunk* of my car with documentation on my car, and the ins co had
nothing to say.  Also, remind them that this is a "peanuts" claim --
fighting over $500 isn't worth their time and once you point that out
(nicely of course) they wake up and forget about "winning the battle", and
just accept your claim.

Good luck!
Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v