Lego my Scirocco!

Well, as much as I love my little Fritz, I have to say I'm nearing the
end of my rope on this one.  Plus, the need to condense down to two cars.
 Of course, the only way I'll be happy is to have an autocrossing VW, so
I'm considering options.  I'd like to buy an A1 VW and swap all of the
worthwhile modifications from my Scirocco over to it.  I have alot of
performance parts, but since I"m trying to simplify things, I"m focusing
on stressbars, swaybars, shocks, springs, throttle body and exhaust (at
least the header, since I'm not sure I'd be able to separate the cat back
system for reinstallation).

I realize that a Rabbit GTI would be a great choice, but I love the
response I get from people when they find out I've got a Scirocco, so I
don't really want to give that up.  While I love the looks and power of
the 16V, it seems a  little more expensive/complicated than I really want
to contend with.  Ultimately, I'd like an 8V, preferrably Mk2.  Is it
safe to assume that all of my performance parts are pretty much
enterchangeable (I know the cat-back wont' between Mk1 and Mk2, but what
about the others?)?

So, my point...  Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than $1,000-ish on
the car on the car itself.  I'm perfectly willing to spend less for a car
that needs work, if the necessary parts exist on my currnet 'roc.  I'm
looking for an autocrosser, and since I will have another car I can deal
with loud, obnoxious, rough-riding, etc.  Also, am I correct in thinking
that the Wolfsburg Sciroccos have the 1.8 GTI motor and close ratio
tranny?

I know my thoughts are kind of random, but I"m just thinking out loud.
do you guys have any thoughts?

Thanks,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")