Re: [Mk1gti] Preparation for Storage

Sal Guzzo wrote:

> Hi y'all,
>
> I will be storing my cars for the winter as soon as I can free up some time.
> In the meantime,  I have a coupla questions about what to do in preparation
> for storage.  A coupla things I will be doing (1) oil changes with new
> filters; (2) adding fuel stabilizer; (3) let the cars sit on shit tires and
> not have to worry about flat spots.
>
> Am I missing anything?

1. Been thinking about filling the entire engine with oil, then draining
1/2 before starting.
2. ???
3. The suspension will still be under load. Better I think to use four
jack stands and take the weight off.

> Since two of the cars will be staying outdoors, I have a feeling that the
> rotors will be collecting some rust.....well, alot of rust.  Is there
> something I can use to prevent this from occurring?  I've thought about
> greasing them up......good, bad?
> Any other suggestions?
> MTIA
> Sal

Well, I'm of two minds, re Rusty Rotors-

A. Rust = Bad. A light coat of something will keep the O2 out, BUT
B. Who cares when the pads will knock the rust right off the 1st few
times you use them. Oil on pads is a bad thing. Rust gets built up but
wont go too deep into a rotor after the initial coating is in place.

If you consider the jack stand idea you could pull the rotors, spray the
hubs, and keep the rims and rotors indoors somewhere.

Thems my thinks,
TBerk