Re: H4 Head light conversion

Not all H4 lenses are created equal!!  Doug Teulie and I have some Autopal
brand H4's on our MK1 autox car and they have the FUNKIEST beam pattern
you've ever seen!!  When you look at the lenses, they look like they should
put out the same pattern as the Hella's.  The light that comes out is very
conically shaped though.  What you see driving down the road are beams to
the left and right of you with a big hole in the center.  They also light up
overpasses quite well thanks to the conical beam.  We have them adjusted so
the center cones merge in front of you and the outer cones light up the
sides of the road.  I'm sure they must blind incoming drivers because of the
uncontrolled cone.

Bottom line, Hella uses high quality crystal in their lenses and actually
shoots the correct beam pattern.  I'm sure Cibie lights are also good.
Outside of reputable manufacturers, you get an inferior product that
probably won't last as long.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition