tranny probs.

Tonight I was driving down the highway from Barrie to Toronto
in my 88 Golf, and about half way, my tranny popped out of 5th.
 I put it back in and it popped out again....it kept popping
out, so I just held it in 5th for 35 min or so.  (now I have
a sore arm).

anyway, when I got off the highway, I couldn't get in any gear.
 Finally I forced the car in gear with loud crunching noise.
 Everytime I stop, I can't get the car back in gear without fiddling
around for 2 mins with all my strength trying to jam into gear.
 I could also hear a rubber squeaking noise.  I can't see anything
under the hood because it is too dark right now.

SO.....Can anyone help me out here?  could this be a problem
with my linkage?  is my tranny shot?  any suggestions?  Car is
1988 Golf.

TIA

Casey
84 Roc