re-building Comp System - my 2¢

I always install Windoze from scratch, on a freshly partitioned, formatted
HD.
Never do I upgrade. BTDT. Win98SE runs just fine, thank you, on my ancient,
overclocked, (P-187MMX ??)Frankensteined, tweaked-out machine, and is really
quite stable.

It's all in how ya do it, as listmembers are well aware of in the world of
car-fixin'.
Windoze suffers from the fact that there are soooo many types of hardware
out there, and some of it pretty damn cheaply made. And so many different
ways of loading and configuring it. Oh, and fergawdsake, remove all the crap
that loads up at start time with every new app installed. Ex: Realplayer and
Jukebox (spyware!), almost anything that puts its little icon in the system
tray. Only drivers for special devices and a few unobtrusive goodies need
apply. Norton Sytemworks is a prime example. Pare it down to anti-virus
only, not the dozen other things that tell you it is unstable, which is due
to these very utilities.

Rocco content:
It is as if we compared VWs to Toyotas. A stock Toyota is known to be quite
reliable.
But, when you want it your way, usually that means high-performance on a
working-person's budget, VWs are the way to go. They also make the best
low-budget runners there are, IMHO. I have a blast in my $500 Golf, did so
in my cheap Bug, etc.
Even my '58 Splittie bus w/DP1600 was a kick. Ever seen one corner hard on 3
wheels? I mastered that trick!
(I only drive my Rocco on Sundays, and the other six days-of-week.)

 R    ô¿õ
Antaki

 - There's a little Quayle in that Bush...