No start! Need advice.

The car,..1978 VW Scirocco...engine is 1.6 8v.  I drove the car today about
10ft. to move it to do the brakes on my other car.  Where it sat I started
poking around.(this is always where the problems start)  I notice the firing
order on this car is 1,2,3,4 clockwise.  I thought they were 1,3,4,2,
counter-clockwise?  Anyway,...I change the plug wires around and clean the
engine bay a little.  I replaced two fuses that were blown in the fuse box
and that is it.  6 hours later I am done playing outside and go to move the
car.  Cranks over like normal, but no start.  Crank some more and "BAM"
(more like a back-fire) sound comes from engine compartment.  So I figure I
need to put those plug wires back in the 1,2,3,4 order.  Do that and crank
it over and it does the same back-fire thing but I notice the rubber boot
over the air filter/fuel distributor kind of pops up.  It didn't pop
off,...it was just like the back fire deal happened inside the air box.  So
I pushed it back out of the way and there it sits.  Need help on this one.
I'll check for spark and fuel tomorrow as it is late now,....just seems like
a timing issue to me.
Thanks,
Chris