(Non-roc) Passat auto-tranny help?!

Sorry for the non-roc posting, but I know several of you
own / have owned Passats and hope you can shed some light
for me.

I've worked out *most* of the bugs on the '91 Passat
automatic that I bought a week or so ago, with the
exception of one - the transmission.  Basically, when you
put it into "drive" it stays in 3rd gear - only.  No first
or second unless you select them manually, and it won't
shift to 4th at all.  My first thoughts were that the
computer is screwed up.  A friend at the dealership told me
how to "reset" the transmission's ECU fault code memory,
which I did, and the car drove fine - for about a mile.
(Even went into 4th after a little coaxing)  However, after
turning back towards the house, it stayed in 3rd again, and
hasn't shifted since, despite "rebooting" the ECU again
more than once.

According to the Bentley, this 3rd gear only issue is the
car's "limp home" mode, meaning there's a fault with the
wiring or ground to the tranny ECU, or the ECU itself it
bad.  Anybody have any other possible explanations before I
go spend any money on this thing?

TIA!

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S,
'82 Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
'91 Passat - parts car?
"...And Morgo, as the friendly Draub." - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In