Re: Stereo Wiring Help

Scott Richardson wrote:

> Ok, I've got all of the speaker wires separated and hooked up. Then
> there are 3 left. Red- hot lead, Brown- ground, and Blue- amp?. But
> isn't there supposed to be a yellow for the memory backup? I pulled the
> whole console off and there is nothing else hidden behind there. For now
> I just hooked up the yellow wire from the wiring harness to the hot lead
> but I still don't get why there is no yellow.
>
> Scott Richardson
> '86 8V Scirocco
>
> --

There are two schools of thought;

1. Power to the radio is switched and req. the key to be in the Ign. to
turn on the radio. In this scenario you would need constant power to the
memory backup. Don't want to leave your passenger(s) in the car with
your keys? They sit in silence.

2. Power to the radio is constant so you can pull the keys and still
power the radio. In this way you can run your battery down, (As if
anyone will do this more than once or twice at most), and you tie the
memory backup into the constant source of power.

My druthers is to bypass #1 if present but am sure to include a fuse
near the battery for the new lead I run to the ICE.

Blue out from the radio is usually used to trigger an outboard amp and/
or motorized antenna or something. It passes 12v when the radio is
turned on.

hth,
TBerk