Re: 2.0 Conversion Advice

>I just threw a bearing on my 1.8....DOH!
>
>Now I am going to do the conversion.
>
>Couple of questions.
>
>1.) What can I do now as opposed to later - Alright so I have a low mileage
>2.0. Is there anything I should do to it before I put the 1.8 head on
>it...(other than replacing gaskets, belts, etc.) ???

Bearings, clutch, rings, oil pump...whatever you'd like to have last
another 100k miles.

>2.) Sachs clutch ?

Don't forget a new pressure plate and a throwout 'bearing' plate.  consider
a new pushrod if the end is flattened excessively.

>3.) Should I switch to Motronics now or can I do that later on ?

I just did this.  The jury is still out as to how much more power it
makes, and I'll get it on the dyno asap.  I have dyno runs from before
also.  Feels great though, and tuning it is really pretty easy.

>4.) Can I do anything to the tranny to make it go faster in on the top end
>(I wanna pin that 140 speedo damnit!)...

change the fifth gear to at least a .75, probably a .71 to give yourself
a chance.  Use the 'gear' app on scirocco.org to play around with
gear ratios  (click the gears on the first page).  I think you'd be
more happy with faster acceleration from a numerically higher final
drive.  This will probably cut down on your ultimate top speed, but
to be honest...who cares?  I think I spend a bit more time going
from zero to whatever, then trying to get to 130mph+.

>5.) Scirocco.org Rules!

We try. :)  I wish I could update it more often...but I'm getting a
cable modem on June 13th which will make it much easier.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jason87vw@nac.net

later!

==Brett