Re: [non] vw awd's

Not true.  The initial syncro system used by VW was a 3 diff system the same
as the quattro. Both were introduced in 1985.
Later VW syncros, as first seen on the VW bus, I think, were viscous
coupling versions, which work in the way you described.
The second generation quattro system was not the same as the VW syncro and
used the torsen diff instead of the VC for drive distribution. This type of
system is in the current passat syncro and 4-motion, as far as I can see. I
don't think is is exactly the same as the quattro but it works in much the
same way.
The golf 4-motion is using a haldex system which is the same as the current
A3 quattro.

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8