New 78 rocco....very strange!@

Ok,..going through the "new to me" 78 Rocco, this is what I find.  More rust
than I thought, 1.6 motor is car, (isn't this suppose to be a 1.5?), 4 spd
tranny, (never owned one of these before), lots of leaks,(very dirty and
oily in the ole' engine bay, .....and the rear brake lines.  Someone riddle
me this,......are the brake lines for the rear drums suppose to run through
the fire, under each front seat, then back out the metal by the rear seat?
I have never seen such a deal in all my life!  There is just no way this is
"factory",   granted I've never owned an 8v Rocco,...and never one this
old,...but this just isn't right!  Is it?
    On a positive note,...I put new ground and power cable on the car, (just
habit from the 16v's) and added a
battery......put-put......gurgle-gurgle......Blam!  She started up and idles
at 900 rpm and doesn't skip a beat.  It almost pissed me off because it
actually has better idle characteristics than my new 16v motor.
    Got to love these VW's.....add oil, gas, and good spark and I swear they
will run forever!
    chris