RE: 120A alternator: hp drain?

I had a belt break one late night on my old Golf.  It was really late
(early actually) and I wanted to get home.

I had a little piece of rope in the trunk, so that became my new
water/alternator belt.  The loose rope would turn the water pump with no
problem, but would only tickle the alternator while the lights were
on.  With the lights all off, the alt. would spin.

By the time I made it home, the battery was dead, but the temp gauge read
normal.

Does this illustrate how difficult it is to turn an alternator?

It's a function of the load on it, not so much it's capacity or output spec.

Dan Brideau
http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco/