Re: shift points

  1st gear - I shift on 6800

2nd gear - 6900 or 7000

3rd all the way to the redline

kicks Integras and Honda's ass on stock 1.8

 leo
16v Jason wrote:

At 06:34 PM 5/23/2000 , gnz12345@oh.verio.com wrote:

Anyone have any
advice on the optimum shift points for a STOCK 16V scirocco in the case
of a street drag race? Thanks alot for the
help.

Yep.  I derived the following shift points using my dyno curve and
gear ratios.  Shift points are determined where the axle torque
(engine torque * gear ratio * final drive ratio) is greater in the next
higher gear.  YMMV, as all engines have slightly different torque
curves.  You can see my curve on my website.

The figures were calculated by a little app I wrote in High School, and
like I said, are derived from my dyno results.  For those of you who
are curious, the reason the revs decrease for each consecutive shift is
because the ratios between gears 5 and 4 are closer than 4 and 3, which
are closer than 3 and 2... bla bla bla.

Basically, your stock 16V will lose massive power over 6000 like mine
does, so shifting between 6000 and 6500 will most likely yield the best
acceleration... but for exact figures, see below.  Enjoy.

SCIROCCO 16V - DYNO RUN - STOCK GEARING AND ENGINE.

SHIFT 1-2       56km/h
 6510rpm

SHIFT
2-3       89km/h  6360rpm