Re: shift points

At 06:34 PM 5/23/2000 , gnz12345@oh.verio.com wrote:
Anyone have any advice on the optimum shift points for a STOCK 16V scirocco in the case of a street drag race? Thanks alot for the help.

Yep.  I derived the following shift points using my dyno curve and gear ratios.  Shift points are determined where the axle torque (engine torque * gear ratio * final drive ratio) is greater in the next higher gear.  YMMV, as all engines have slightly different torque curves.  You can see my curve on my website.

The figures were calculated by a little app I wrote in High School, and like I said, are derived from my dyno results.  For those of you who are curious, the reason the revs decrease for each consecutive shift is because the ratios between gears 5 and 4 are closer than 4 and 3, which are closer than 3 and 2... bla bla bla.

Basically, your stock 16V will lose massive power over 6000 like mine does, so shifting between 6000 and 6500 will most likely yield the best acceleration... but for exact figures, see below.  Enjoy.

SCIROCCO 16V - DYNO RUN - STOCK GEARING AND ENGINE.

SHIFT 1-2       56km/h  6510rpm
SHIFT 2-3       89km/h  6360rpm
SHIFT 3-4       126km/h 6120rpm
SHIFT 4-5       160km/h 6090rpm

0-100 km/h      8.4s
Top Speed       199km/h in gear 5 at 6100rpm.

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://members.aol.com/rocco16v