RE: Flickering lights

A 16V with 130k showing a flickering battery light at a specific RPM.  This
was my exact situation just a few months back (my battery light would come
on between 4500-4800 and the volt meter would dip to about 9v).  In order
this is what I did.

1) Check the alt belt tension.  My adjustment didn't help
2) Call the Potterpeople and get the aftermarket voltage regulator (~$20 vs
~$70-100 for the Bosch.  Mike suggested it to me, so I figured it was safe
to skip on the Bosch this time).  This changed the light threshold to about
5000 rpm.  The problem got steadily worse  At one point I couldn't rev over
~4500.  Anyone else ever drive their Scirocco at the speed limit on the
freeway?  Didn't think so.  BTW, keep the old voltage regulator to turn in
with the alt casing if you go to step #3.
3) Buy a new alt (make sure you get the 90a).  Problem solved.

-Brad
'86.5 Scirocco 16V
'76 International Scout II
'86 Yamaha Radian (RIP)
'89 Yamaha FZR600
home.earthlink.net/~bgsterling/garage.htm