Re: Car physics: was MK1 Drag results...

In a message dated 05/18/2000 9:10:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sfwilliams@home.com writes:

<< ncorrect, the center of gravity changes from front to rear only with
ballast movements. Raising the
 rear of the car does not move the cg up towards the front wheels at all.

I've sort of been following this thread, and I don't think it was ever said
that raising the rear would move the cg forward, just raise it vertically.
That said, raising the rear corners equally would transfer weight to the
front, if for no other reason, gravity.  Yes, if you raised the rear, weight
transfer to the rear would be increased during forward movement, but only
because that weight was displaced to the front by raising it.  Isn't weight
transfer in this case reduced by an unforgivingly suspended car?

 <<Ask a road racer about weight jacking. You know those height-adjustable
coil over kits that people
 think look really cool? Well, their legitimate purpose is to transfer weight
around to achieve a closer
 to ideal load distribuition. The old axim is "lower is lighter; higher is
heavier". Since weight  moved
 farther (vertically) from the cg increases the moment, weight transfer is
thusly *increased* towards
 the direction that the chassis is moving around the fulcrum -rearwards. >>

Isn't this corner-weighting?  As I understand it, a car is corner weighted
diagonally, RF+LR, etc.  If you raise the RF, it reduces the weight on the LF
and the RR.  The same as when you jack up only one corner of your car.  The
other corner on the same side comes off the ground.  The effects of higher is
heavier do not unilaterally apply, when raising one end of the car, I don't
think.

I don't claim to be an expert, but this is a subject about which I am very
interested, and my understanding of it greatly differs from your explaination.

cheers

Greg Faust

88 16v Scirocco DSP
87 GLi