No Power,...a bit of Backfire!

Ok,...a new engine in the 88 16v.  Every single part is new except,...O2
sensor, plug wires, cat converter, and the original ECU, knock sensor,
etc..The car now has 12 miles on the new engine.  Doesn't seem to have any
power...i.e...go to take off of a small incline and I have to ride the
clutch a good bit to get it going.  The car only seems to backfire once I
push the clutch in and change gears....just a "little" back fire mind you.
I double checked the timing....I guess it is correct.  I just ordered the O2
sensor from Mark @ Adirondack  as well as that damn plug/harness connector
so I can properly set the fuel mixture.  Am I freaking out over
nothing....like maybe the rings aren't set and the car is just "breaking-in"
or what.  It sure seems like a fuel or ignition problem to me.
Damn,,so close but so,so, so,.so very far away...........From driving the
damn thing on the street!
Like usual, many thanks to all that have helped me get this far.
chris