Re: MK1 Drag results are in(kinda long)

Goethfaust@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 05/17/2000 1:54:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  >rear jacked up one inch from lowered with custom lower shock mounts
>
>  Why? Jacking up the rear will raise the center of mass, and increase weight
>  transfer to the rear wheels upon launch. This is desirable with rear wheel
>  drive cars (which is why you see it so often with mustangs and camaros) but
>  horribly undesirable with front wheel drive, as the drive wheels get less
>  traction.
>
> FWIW, not making any judgements on the mod, raising the rear wheels will not
> transfer weight to the rear, at launch, or any other time.  Raising the cars
> center of gravity doesnt' affect it as much when you're going in a straight
> line. It may suck for autox however.  As far as I can figure, mustangs and
> camaro's are jacked at the rear for looks only.  I've never seen many pro
> drag cars jacked in the rear unless it's to accomodate the slicks.  At least
> is my understanding.  Please feel free to correct me if you feel I'm wrong.
>
>  Not to mention that your car will not take corners as well. >>

Not true, High displacement RWD torque monster cars are jacked up for a
reason; that is weight transfer. It's hard getting something like a
third generation camaro with 500ft lbs of torque to catch..... As for
that affecting handling, I don't know. I would think that it would have
a positive affect since it would keep the rears on the ground during
cornering....... But I'm sure there are others out there who can go
deeper into this.

Gary A. Huff scirocco86@home.com
86.5 16v Scirocco "Red Rocket" (120k miles)
80 Gas Rabbit Pickup; grazing the driveway. (Needs strut tower welding
and
title, 50k original miles)