Re: oxs

>I was also wondering the same thing.  Is there any difference in performance
>with/without an oxs?  The PO of my car pulled off just about all of the
>emissions controls including the oxs, but since the computer is made for a
>car with oxs I'm wondering if I should put one back on the car.
>
>Casey
>84 Roc
>
> >   what would happen if i were to run my car without an oxygen sensor? i
> > already pulled the unit that makes the light come on every 30k miles. i
> > have a 4-2 manifold that would need the nut put on, but i'm wondering if
> > it's necessary. thanx.

Yes, put them back in and make them work properly.  You are more then
likely running in a rich condition, which causes fuel milage to suffer.
Not the mention that an overly rich mixture can degrade performance,
and cause your cat to clog up.  It will also give you hives, and
wipe out all the information on your computer if you don't fix it soon.

:-)

The oxygen sensor provides feedback to the 'computer' on how rich / lean
the car is running by sniffing the exhaust.  Based on those readings the
mixture is adjusted (relative to what you've dialed in at the fuel
distributor) in an attempt to get it as close as possible to 14.7:1. (At
least I think I remember that being the ratio of air to fuel).  Without
an oxs sensor input, the system errs on the rich side of things so as
not to burn up your motor with a lean running condition...but too
much fuel causes other problems over the course of time.  Like an incomplete
and cooler burn, leading to carbon build up on the valves and piston
tops, and a melted down (and very clogged) cat.  Hey, do what you want
though...

:]

==Brett