Re: Advanced timing Questions

<< Do I adjust the fuel mixture first and then the timing? How about the idle
speed?>>

On my '78, you can adjust the fuel mixture before or after the timing.  These
are two mutually exclusive events.  One does not effect the other, directly.
The idle is important because you want to stay at idle(~1000 rpm) so that
your centrifugal advance doesn't kick in and change your timing.  As you
change your mixture or timing, the idle will vary.  You want to adjust your
idle screw to keep the idle correct.

<<To what should I advance the timing so that I can return to the peppiness I
enjoyed.  As well, I will be installing an adjustable cam sprocket.
Advancing this would do what and what would retarding the cam do?>>

All things being equal, when you retard you cam timing, you will feel your
power band  shift towards the higher end of the RPM range and in turn you
will feel less on the bottom end.  Advancing the cam timing will shift the
power band down with a loss in the top end.
HTH.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner