Advanced timing Questions

Well, I got my car back from the mech and it's not running as great as it did before. First off, the reason I couldn't get it started was that the timing belt has jumped a tooth. How could this happen? BTW, thanks to all who responded.  I should have checked this before anything else. Nonetheless, life goes on.

My current VW learning experience involves advancing the timing for peak performance. The motor is a 1.8l JH 8V, with the following mods: g-grind cam, Weber TB (will be replaced with a Neuspeed one - same as a golf), header. 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust. The mech returned the timing to stock specs cuz that's how he is. I wanna learn how to do this sheit. I have a dwell meter as well as a timing gun. Hence, I have the tools but no knowledge.

Do I adjust the fuel mixture first and then the timing? How about the idle speed?

To what should I advance the timing so that I can return to the peppiness I enjoyed.  As well, I will be installing an adjustable cam sprocket.  Advancing this would do what and what would retarding the cam do?

Someone teach me, I wanna know and learn. TIA

Sal Guzzo
BTW, the mech did find a short behind the fuse box and in turn, my full throttle switch is working and my fuel pump doesn't constantly run when the key is turned (but the car is not running). Yippeeee!!!!!

81 Scirocco S (16V to be)
81 Scirocco (motorless and directionless)
84 Rabbit (now Gti)
84 Scirocco Wolfsburg