Wheel bearing caps

I swapped my Moto Ex(Borbet look a like) rims from one
of my cars to the Scirocco last night and they look
really nice compared to the tear drops. Anyway, the
front rims went on without a hitch, but the rear wheel
bearing caps protruded out about 1/4 inch to much and
poked the Moto Ex center caps off. Has anybody else
dealt with this before? Is there another cap I could
use? I don't suppose taking a hammer to them would be
to extreme? Just kidding, then again maybe I should
check the clearance under the cap, might just work?
Suggestions?

Later,

=====
Jeff Lowe