16v no start prob-intake boot burping

well after a long drawn out rebuild of the top half of
my engine I am now trying to get this thing started
and when I turn it over....all of a sudden the starter
stops and the intake boot burps out air.....now I am
positive I set up the timing marks right for the
timing belt...and just as positive I set up the marks
on the distributor since the head was sitting at tdc
on cylinder 1....anyway what the hell would do this???

thanks

=====
Michael Leach--Rochester,NY
87 16v Red