Fw: Dunlop/Yokohoma or Mk1/Mk2 was??

Thanks again Scott,
I'll try the tire pressures you recommended.
Randy

Hey, I can't respond to the Scirocco list from work. Please forward this to
the crew. Thanks...

> Hmmmm...My SP8K's are 195/55/14's on 7X14's. Seems like I was
> able to throw the car into a corner with more confidence with the
> S's...

Right, *throw* might be the operative word here. Like I said, the Dunlops
like to be driven smoothly! They have more flexible sidewalls thana
comparitively sized Yokohama. Therefore the transitional response is not
quite as sharp. Taken to an extreme, this method of tire construction would
lend towards a sloppy feel. However, I feel that the compromise is well
worth it for road use. On the bumpier backroads the Dunlops are better
behaved in my experience.

> The AVS's were 185/60/14's on 6X14's, so the sidewall thing makes sense.
> Could I be running the wrong tire pressure's, I've been running 30F/36R.

I more typically run about 34F/32R on the sreet. Note that the pressure is
*lower* in the back -a tuning solution that I find much more practical for
the street. The rear end breaks away in a more controllable fashion than
when you crank them up way past the optimal level.

The point here is that too high or low a pressure will reduce grip. On the
autocross course, a very high rear pressure will make the rear lose grip but
without it mushing all over the place. Given the controlled environment and
smooth track surface, this is an appropriate way to go. I don't think that
it is right for the street.

Furthermore, these are modern tires that have a maximum pressure rating of
44lbs if I recall correctly. Your pressure in the front is *way* low!

> I'm still working on that smooth thing.8)

Smoothness is almost the whole story.

> They worked great until I tried to turn, brake or lift off the throttle.
> Again, I could be running the wrong tire pressure.
> Any recomendations to get these to perform?

Yeah, adjust the tire pressure with the front higher than the back and then
smooth it all out. Btw, I run about -1.5deg camber on the front tires.

Here's a tip. Take some chalk and mark up the sidewalls of your tires. Go do
some hot laps around town and then examine where the chalk has gotten
scuffed up. That point on the tire will mark where it starts to roll over.
I'll bet that your front tires will be scuffed half way up the sidewall.
Ultimately a tire pyrometer is the best tool, but this is a great way to get
started.

HTH!