Re: Trying to Kick honda Ass and a question for Mike!

Nice to have you with us Michael.  Because you wrote 'honda' with a lower
case 'h' and own a Scirocco, you must be cool.

First thing you should do is open the hood, look down between the battery
and the air filter box, follow that flexible hose toward the front of the
car, (do you see what it connects to?) get a Phillips head screw driver,
get under the car, and remove that black piece that the hose connects to.
Reconnect the hose. There should have been a thin vacuum line down there.
Follow it up to the intake boot and pull it off. Find a screw (one of the
ones you just removed?) and screw it into one of the ends of that line.
Give yourself about an inch of line after the end of the screw and chop
the line there. Put it back on you intake boot.
 Next, look at your exhaust manifold. See the shroud on it? Do you have a
flexible hose running from it? If 'yes', remove it!
Those components are warm up aids. When you remove them, it becomes extra
important that you let your car warm up.

Nothing can beat a good tune up. Get yourself a cap, rotor, K&N air
filter, fuel filter, and a set of Bosch F6DTC plugs. (DO NOT GET
PLATINUM!) Check your wires by completely removing one from the loom. (i
would recommend #4) Clean it up and inspect it for cracks. Some times you
can get an idea of how old it is by holding it up and seeing if it wants
to curve into the position it's in on the car. Make a habit of writing
down, if necessary, when you last did whatever tune up.

Before you attempt to make a diet out of hondas, do yourself a favor and
check (or have someone else check) you timing belt. Bad things can happen
when that snaps on you. Not to mention how you'd feel about some honda
puke "beating" you when it could have been avoided.

The old adage goes something like: "How fast do you want to go...how much
money do you have?" Start looking out for a 2.0ltr block from a 90-92
Passat GL,Jetta GLi or Golf GTI 16v. Balance that sucker, rebuild it, and
slap the head from your car (after you get the seals replaced and the
valves reground) on it and you will be satisfied for a while. The HP #'s
are NOT that far apart (123-134) but the power will come sooner and for
longer.

Where are you located? I'm sure a nearby list member would be happy to
meet and mold a newcomer.

Eric Ellis
Good, bad....I'm the guy with the gun!