Re: Trying to Kick Hondas Ass

>Hello, i just bought a 1987 Scirocco 16V, and since its summer time,
>its time for modifications so i cna crush those pesky hondas that
>everyone else my age, there parents bought for them.  IM just 17 by
>the way, so i would like the cost and what not and HP gains i could
>expect.  Thanks alot for all your help.
>  Michael Gonzalez
>  1987 V-Dub 16V

serious 16v tuning costs serious money.  No real good way around that one.

The "cheap" stuff pretty much amounts to a keeping your car in good tune.
Use a quality spark plug (I recommend the stock Bocsh triple electrode
coppers, or the triple electrode NGKs).  Change all your filters, replace
the air filter with a K&N, drill out your airbox if you want more
growl.  Probabaly doesn't add much of any power, but can sound real
good!  As mentioned in my previous post, the fuel enrichment device
is probably the most bang for the buck you'll get.  Here's one for
you that doesn't get discussed very much...find a transmission from
an 83 or 84 GTI, get an 8v clutch disc and slam that in.  They
have a lower (higher numeric) final drive.  This can increase
acceleration dramatically.  There are several other things that
can be done here...like a slightly richer fuel mixture and shedding weight.

The expensive stuff that really works:

Put in a 2L 16v block, port the head, deck the head, lighten the
flywheel, performance cams, high flow exhaust, maybe a header, etc.
There's many more things like unloading the A/C and forced induction.

Have fun!  I can just barely see the end of my project in sight,
and I've been at it since 1992.  Take your time, keep the car in
the best condition you possibly can, that's my advice.  Enjoying
working on the car, don't ever let it become a chore. :)

==Brett