Re: Exhaust manifold Coating

TBerk wrote:
> There are folks who coat with a ceramic coating, also i was looking a
> the wrap it on stuff. Kinda like an Ace bandage you wrap around the
> downpipe headers.
>
> Keeps the heat in, prevents rapid cooling which leads to loss of
> velocity.

Ceramic coating is probably the better choice for the street.
With the wrap on a regular steel header you will trap moisture and rust out
the header very quickly.
If you are using a stainless steel header and/or it will never see moisture
(rain or morning dew) then the wrap is a good choice.
I have a stainless steel Supersprint header that was covered with the heat
wrap for 3+ yrs. and it did nothing but discolor the metal a little (green).
I would have the ceramic coating done professionally, why? You probably paid
a lot for the header and another $100 or so insures that it will be done
right.
HTH

Randy B
81 Cosmos Scirocco S - 2.0 16V project
81 Mars Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V
87 gold Scirocco 16V - parts for Cosmos project