Re: Bad rod bearing?

Jonas,

It definitely sounded like a rod bearing.
I'd pull the bearing caps and look for damage to the bearings.
When you take the bearing caps off check for spun bearings and look at cap
and the crank bearing surfaces?
If I remember right the bearings are a much softer metal than the crank, so
the crank should not see much damage, right?
It the rod bearing had spun you would know right away because the bearings
would either double up on the cap side, or the rod side.

Can any VW (or other) mechanics out there give us a brief description on how
to replace the rod bearings with ones of the proper thickness if it isn't
spun, or what to do if it is? My father helped me with the only spun rod
bearing I have ever encountered 10+ years ago and can't remember what we did
to fix it.

We need to get Jonas to the show preferably without sounding like a diesel
8)

Thanks,
Randy B
81 Cosmos Scirocco S - 2.0 16V project
81 Mars Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V
87 gold Scirocco 16V - parts for Cosmos project