brake irritation

hello listers

today i decided to switch out my rear brake pads for new ones.  I had done
the fronts a while back and the rears needed that damn 12mm hex key that i
didn't have.  after four different stores i finally found one.  i go home,
pull apart the right rear and crank the piston down....yada yada ya....all
goes very smoothly.  i put the wheels back on and move over to the left
rear......cranked down on that damn piston for at least a half hour
(yes...clockwise) and it just wouldn't go down enough to accomodate the new
pads.....it did seem to loosen though....which makes me kinda believe that it
isn't stripped out.  after an hour and half of frustration i picked out the
two best old pads and jammed em back in.  got things ta do....ya know,
well....now my braking is absolutely RETARDED.....the right rear bites in
real nice and the left does too...but not as much..thus making the car lean a
little.  any suggestions on my next step?  i really want to even everything
out and this temporary job is not gonna cut it...just in case this helps,
yes the parking brake was toast when i bought the car.

anybody?....please!
R. Murphy
87 scirocco 16v
00 mercedes slk230 (comin soon!)