Re: 'New' car

I was looking at AutoTrader online for the helluva it one day.  I saw it
thinking 'damn, I'd love to have that', and noticed that it was 20
minutes down the road, but didn't have the $3900 he was asking.  Couple
days later, the Scirocco was wrecked.  I went and drove it a couple days
after that and didn't quite feel the car had the get up and go that it
should have.  The seller mentioned that the turbo probably needs a
rebuild since it seems low on power.  I decided not to get it due to my
fear of expensive repair bills and headed out to Kansas to buy that 87
Scirocco (previous story).  After the Scirocco didn't pan out, I decided
to give the guy a call back and took it the next day to have it checked
over by a friend of mine who is a Master ASE tech and very knowledgeable
about turbos and VWs in general.  He put it on the machine and checked
it over.  Come to find out, the timing was retarded 12 degrees!  He set
it at 0 degrees (for now) and we went out on another drive with a vacuum
gage hooked up to measure the boost.  The turbo is putting out a healthy
10-11 psi.  Omigod, the car was transformed.  I told me if I didn't buy
it he would, so I paid the guy $3700 the next day.  I offered him $3400,
but he set on his $3900.  I finally managed to get him down $200, but he
wanted his Bazooka tube back.  Great, you can have it!  :-)  He said he
wanted to sell it 'to simplify his life', sp he ordered a new S4.  I
think he'll regret selling it, especially when he goes for a ride with
me at the next autox.  Heh!  It took first in the Street Mod class
Sunday and beat the third place 94 Supra TT by 2.5 seconds.  :-)

-Mike