Re: Noise, Harshness, and Vibration...

WaspHwy@aol.com wrote:

> my 84 GTI is going downhill. ever since I bought it, it hasnt been good in
> these departments, but it is getting worse. I know I need new dampers, and
> most of my motor and tranny mounts are shot. where should I start in making
> my car liveable for long road trips? as it is, it bobs, weaves, and VIBRATES
> horrible.

Twofold problem;

Is the vibrating the engine? Or is it the suspension? (Like it vibrates
at a certain speed and then smoothes out?) If it's the constant drone
and dash vibrations- that's the motor mounts. Cost? in and around $100.

If you shimmy and shake while getting up to speed then it's the
suspension and you maybe able to cool things out with a good front end
alignment/ wheel balance job. It won't help the blown shocks but it will
help with a car that's too darty and weavy.

> I am going to go with bilstein HD's and probably some H&R's, but
> should I replace the motor and tranny mounts first? will a lower/ upper strut
> brace help at all? tia
>
> --

Strut braces will help when you are going around a hot corner and the G
force wants deform your car's body- they will help keep the geometry in
it's original place. Not much help for your reported problem, still
recommended though.

The Bils & Hn'Rs have been highly recommended by our fellow list
members, don't forget to factor in upper shock mounts, lower control arm
bushings, rear axle bushings, etc., etc. Adds up, you might want to get
the small stuff 1st and then you are ready to get the big items.

hth,
TBerk