Motronic conversion done

As many people know, I converted my 2L 16v from CIS-E to Motronic
over the winter.  It actually ran this weekend, and thanks to
Mike Leach lending me his tires (which were stored in my basement,
it's a small world, what can I say?) I got to drive it!  Naturally,
it's got a Garrett chip in it now too. :-)

My impressions so far is that Motronic can be a very good engine
management system.  Great idle, removes the need to play around
with the throttlebody idle set screw.  The conversion is not
that hard if you know what you're doing, in fact, my air box
and fuel distributor are still on the drivers side!  And I
am using the Motronic injectors and fuel distributor with CIS-E
lines...thanks to a set of CIS-E line-2-Motronic brass injector
adapters.

Anyway, there are a few problems naturally. :(  I bought the
entire system used...and I've had to replace a few suspect
components...like both knock sensors, and the 4th plug wire sensor.
But one I hadn't known was 'bad' until I installed it was the
throttle plate position sensor...it's on the opposite side from
the DPR on the fuel distributor.  Causes the car to act funny
on rapid changes to gas pedal position.  The sensor isn't
sold separately naturally, and list price for the that entire
part of the airbox is around $500. Very sucky.  I've got some
inquires out, and I'm hoping to find one direct from Bosch for
a bit less.

Back to the performance...it's fast.  Feels really fast actually.
But it has been 6+ months since I've driven it!

I've got two Garrett chips actually, and I started with the more
aggressive unit, but I think I'm going to have to switch to the
'normal' Garrett chip due to a tiny bit of pinging when the
timing is set at 6 degrees.  I dialed the timing back a
degree or so, but the loss of throttle sharpness might not make
it worth it...still experimenting.

For anyone else interested in doing this, only two wires need
to go to the fuse box...one for power, the other to tap
the fuel pumps power line (let's the computers know the
car is running I imagine).  All the other wires (like 8 or so)
are available in the engine compartment of the CIS-E 16v.  I'll
make this info available on scirocco.org at some point here.

I even have witnesses to the fact that it runs!  Hi Daun, Nigel,
Paui, Ben, Mike & Jim! Hey, which one of you was supposed to
help me tighten my alternator belt before you went back to Jim's house!?
:)

==Brett