VW problem gurus

I have an 88 16v rocco with 123,000 miles.  The other day I was in 3rd
gear and tried to accelerate but the car started to buck and miss fire,
bad.  So I pulled over to a parking lot and tried to increase the RPMs and
it did the same thing, run like sh** back fire and idle rough, bad.  But
the strange thing was the clicking noise coming from the fuse box.  It
sounds like a relay going crazy cliking on and off like mad.  I took a
look and could it be the #17 automatic choke and idling cut off valve or
the #5 fuel pump relay?  Or am I just missing the point.  There is a
clicking noise coming from the fuse box, when I give it gas it misses and
back fires.   Thanks for your help.

Chris