Re: [mk2] brakes

At 04:03 PM 5/5/2000 , Ian Overholt wrote:
>New rotors from the Potterman were $15 each!!  Is it even worth it to go
>through the trouble of taking them somewhere to be turned?  How much could
>you save?  $5?  $10?  If you want to go with slotted rotors, they are a
>little more, but still reasonable.  I don't think you'll have any trouble
>with resurfaced drums; they don't have the same warping problem as rotors.
>Also don't overtorque your front lug nuts.

Bingo-- for that kind of price, you should just get new ones-- you'll save
a whole $5 having them turned.  Whooptie-doo. :)

>Pads depend on how you drive.  I like my Ferodos very much.  I drive
>aggressive, but not crazy.  They are dusty, but they stop good.  16vJason
>said he's been able to make his Ferodos fade, but I've raced on a track
>and I had no sign of fade.  YMMV.  I think Mintex also makes a good
>pad.  Check with Potterman for a better recommendation.

I like the Ferodos as well... although it looks like I'm the only person
who's been able to get them to fade.  I'm not crazy, I swear!  But who
knows what else could be causing that to happen-- could be the brake fluid
for all I know.

My brakes are the firmest I've felt on any VW, so I doubt I have any other
issues (like a bad MC), and because of that, I also doubt that I've boiled
the fluid.  I use Castrol GTMLA for the record.

Overall, I've been happy with the Ferodos though.

Jason

>Get a good DOT 4 fluid.  Castrol GTLMA, Ford blue stuff, etc.  Fluid is
>pretty inexpensive no matter what you go with.
>
>Ian Overholt
>'88 16v
>'78 Champagne Edition
>
>>From: "Foxx (in a box)" <foxxinabox@core.com>
>
>>   i've been thinking about doing a brake job on my car. what i'm
>>concerned with is how thin should i let me rotors and drums get before i
>>replace them? also, what fluid, pads, and shoes would anyone recommend?
>>i don't want to slide through the intersection in the morning. thanx.

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://members.aol.com/rocco16v