Re: [mk2] brakes

As far as the rotors go, I don't think turning them is a good idea since you
end up with less material and it will warp twice as fast as when it was new.
  And besides, I just replaced the rotors on my sister's '81 diesel rabbit.
New rotors from the Potterman were $15 each!!  Is it even worth it to go
through the trouble of taking them somewhere to be turned?  How much could
you save?  $5?  $10?  If you want to go with slotted rotors, they are a
little more, but still reasonable.  I don't think you'll have any trouble
with resurfaced drums; they don't have the same warping problem as rotors.
Also don't overtorque your front lug nuts.

Pads depend on how you drive.  I like my Ferodos very much.  I drive
aggressive, but not crazy.  They are dusty, but they stop good.  16vJason
said he's been able to make his Ferodos fade, but I've raced on a track and
I had no sign of fade.  YMMV.  I think Mintex also makes a good pad.  Check
with Potterman for a better recommendation.

Get a good DOT 4 fluid.  Castrol GTLMA, Ford blue stuff, etc.  Fluid is
pretty inexpensive no matter what you go with.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition