Re: [mk2] a/c & cd q's; radio for sale

> This oughta stir up the list.  Don't tell the Federales, but the
> refrigerant of choice in my '82 diesel Pick-Up has been 20% butane and
> 80% propane (by weight) since '91.  I flushed the system, replaced all
> the 0-rings, added some Royal Purple 10-30 synthetic (it was what I had
> around the house at the time) and topped it off with the propane/butane
> mix.  (Butane actually has an R number,... R502, I think.  It's a great
> refrigerant)  I haven't had a lick of trouble, except when frost forms on
> the windshield when it's on defrost in the summertime.  It's s'posed to
> be 6 to 8 degrees colder than R12 and I believe it.  Now before everyone
> starts whining about my A/C system being a time bomb consider this,...
> the BTU's in 20 oz of butane/propane is about equivalent to a cup of
> gasoline.  Nobody worries about the 15 gallons of gas that they carry
> around, so don't worry about a little butane and propane.  You can even
> legally vent it into the atmosphere.  Of course, if everyone starts using
> a butane/propane mix it would put a lot of the automotive A/C people out
> of work.  We wouldn't want that.
> -kevin in Texas  (Down here we need every extra degree of coolness we can

BAD BAD idea, saw what can happen FIRST hand TODAY as a matter of fact.
Was delivering some parts to a local import place and one of the mechanics
wanted to show me some thing.  He proceeded to show me a late eighties
honda accord he was working on.  Seems the owner put propane in the A/C
system.  One of the lines cracked, started leaking, and BOOM exploded.
Hood was bent upwards.  After the explosion the pump kept running, so the
A/C compressor became a blowtorch. Burned THROUGH the radiator and a ton
of wiring and hoses.  Flamable materials in the A/C system are a bad idea,
I don't care what your reasoning is, from what I saw today I will never
consider butane or propane as a option.

Eric