Re: [mk2] a/c & cd q's; radio for sale

> 1) has anyone had any experience with R-406A or GHG-X4 refrigerants in
> their cars? they're supposed to be exact replacements for the R-12 and
> cool cooler as well (4°-12° cooler).

This oughta stir up the list.  Don't tell the Federales, but the
refrigerant of choice in my '82 diesel Pick-Up has been 20% butane and
80% propane (by weight) since '91.  I flushed the system, replaced all
the 0-rings, added some Royal Purple 10-30 synthetic (it was what I had
around the house at the time) and topped it off with the propane/butane
mix.  (Butane actually has an R number,... R502, I think.  It's a great
refrigerant)  I haven't had a lick of trouble, except when frost forms on
the windshield when it's on defrost in the summertime.  It's s'posed to
be 6 to 8 degrees colder than R12 and I believe it.  Now before everyone
starts whining about my A/C system being a time bomb consider this,...
the BTU's in 20 oz of butane/propane is about equivalent to a cup of
gasoline.  Nobody worries about the 15 gallons of gas that they carry
around, so don't worry about a little butane and propane.  You can even
legally vent it into the atmosphere.  Of course, if everyone starts using
a butane/propane mix it would put a lot of the automotive A/C people out
of work.  We wouldn't want that.
-kevin in Texas  (Down here we need every extra degree of coolness we can
get!!)