Re: 8v distributors, was: exhaust installed

I too am curious to know the answer to this question.  I have a
TCI-H/kncok setuip that I will transplant onto my JH if there are low-end
performance improvements to be had.  (Base timing with knock is 12
degrees, without is 6 - does this not mean an instant improvement in
off-idle power regardless of compression?)

Drew

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Nigel Heron wrote:

> Victor Farren wrote:
>
> > I sold the distributor, and remember, that if you bump the timing on the 8v JH motor, you'll get more low end power, but it will taper off as you get higher in the revs.  The opposite is true if you retard timing.  The Euro cam supposedly was the best of both worlds b/c you could advance te timing w/o loosing top end power.
> >

> instead of getting a euro-curve distributor, would i see gains by adding a knock sensor box to my JH? i know the 8.5:1 compression doesn't need a knock sensor, but is the advance curve (in the audi mode) more aggresive than a vaccum advance distributor?
>

> > If you can't find a G-dring, I understand that the cams off the stock 1.5 and 1.6L 8vs are more aggressive than the stock JH.  Not quite like the G-grind, but you may be able to find one very cheap at a junkyard.
>
> thanks, but unfortunatly there are no engines that old in scrap yards around here, the salt/rust has destroyed them all...
>
> -nigel.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca