Re: Cracked windshield (a dead horse)

At 12:59 PM 5/4/2000 , David & Michelle Barwick wrote:
>Perhaps I should have been more clear.  I received a spider crack roughly 8"
>in diameter with a portion of it into the gasket.  It is not repairable.
>
>My only question was the reliability of aftermarket gaskets since my
>insurance guy let it slip that I could request that they use the factory
>piece.  My agent is very cool and has always worked with my best interests
>in mind, but he definitely did some back peddling when I mentioned that I
>know some agencies require low grade after market parts and that I don't go
>that way.

I've had my windshield replaced twice.  The first time, the glass company
used the original gasket, which no doubt helped it to break the second
time.  I had lots of vibration in the glass, so rear-view mirror visibility
was compromised.  In addition, it took 3 applications of silicone to get
the gasket to stop leaking water on my fusebox.

The second time, I insisted on a new gasket, but didn't specify brand or
source.  I had the replacement done at a national chain, and I've had no
problems at all.  The glass is tight, with no vibrations, and no leaking.

Thus, you shouldn't have any problems using an aftermarket gasket.

HTH
Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro