Cracked windshield (a dead horse)

Perhaps I should have been more clear.  I received a spider crack roughly 8"
in diameter with a portion of it into the gasket.  It is not repairable.

My only question was the reliability of aftermarket gaskets since my
insurance guy let it slip that I could request that they use the factory
piece.  My agent is very cool and has always worked with my best interests
in mind, but he definitely did some back peddling when I mentioned that I
know some agencies require low grade after market parts and that I don't go
that way.

Thanks for the abundance of helpful hints to have the shield repaired.  The
positive vibes from the list are very much appreciated.  Keep it up.

BTW, I fully intend to help in securing the front parking area for the ND
show.  I will not tolerate Mk3 cars in our Scirocco area.

David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco
Anthracite '84 GLI
Eugene, OR