Friggin Knocking

Greetings All,
For the last maybe two months my Rocc has been
pinging badly. I have not had any problem prior to
this. I still run high octane fuel as I always
have. I have given it a tune up  and nothing
changed. I re-timed it and then retarded the
timing at the distributor, and that didnt fix it,
I then tried retarding it at the cam and that
didn't  do anything, I even tried retarding it at
both cam and distributor, the engine could barely
idle and it didn't stop.   I am wondering is there
anything else that would cause severe pinging?
The engine is running out its last few miles
anyway, and I plan on rebuilding it, but I want it
to last aslong as it can, prior to rebuild.

engine in question: 1984 1.8l 8v (JH) solid lifter
10.1 compression

TIA,
Nathan